15 Hidden Secrets in Amsterdam
These are my carefully selected 15 hidden secrets & best places in Amsterdam where I studied for 4 years and includes gems like the smallest house, weird Dutch urinals, human deformities museum, Red Light District secrets and tips for the Amsterdam nightlife.
- When: Best time to go during Summer (July & August)
- Why: One of the hidden gems of Europe
- Notes: From Schiphol Airport take the train directly to Amsterdam Central Station, than walk 5 minutes to Dam square to start off your Amsterdam adventure.
- Language: Knowning the Dutch language is not required, most Dutch people love to communicate in English.
- Learn more: 18 Hidden Secrets in Berlin (Germany), 12 Best Places in Milan (Italy) and 21 Hidden Secrets in Tokyo (Japan)
Don't be fooled by what people tell you, Amsterdam has definitely a lot more to offer than hookers and weed.
1. Wynand Fockink
Jenever aka Dutch Gin taste room across Dam Square
Pijlsteeg 31, 1012 HH Amsterdam, Netherlands
Best local herring in Amsterdam, make sure to add raw onions & pickels
Oude Doelenstraat 2HS, 1012 ED Amsterdam, Netherlands
3. Red Light Secrets
The first museum of prostitution in the world
Oudezijds Achterburgwal 58C, 1012 DP Amsterdam, Netherlands
4. De Krul
Bizarre public toilets located at most main canals
Oudezijds Voorburgwal 70, 1012 GE Amsterdam, Netherlands
5. Smallest House in Amsterdam
See if you can fit through the doorway, this house is only 2 meters and 2 centimeters
Oude Hoogstraat 22, 1012 CE Amsterdam, Netherlands
Largest collection of human deformations all in one place
Meibergdreef 15, 1105 AZ Amsterdam Zuid-Oost, Netherlands
Biggest house in Amsterdam built by the Trip brothers
Kloveniersburgwal 29B, 1011 JV Amsterdam, Netherlands
8. Amsterdam Cheese Company
Try taste samples of the most popular Dutch cheeses
Wijde Heisteeg 9HS, 1016 AS Amsterdam, Netherlands
9. Equestrian Statue of Queen Wilhelmina
See if you can find the mistake with this statue, its funny!
Rokin 108, 1012 LA Amsterdam, Netherlands
10. Canal House Museum
Learn about the early construction of canal houses
Keizersgracht 150ST, 1015 CX Amsterdam, Netherlands
11. Blue Amsterdam
Best view in Amsterdam at this 360 panorama restaurant
Kalvertoren Shoppingcenter, Singel 457, 1012 WP Amsterdam, Netherlands
12. Sensi Seeds
Get high before you visit the art museums for an inspirational rush!
Nieuwendijk 26, 1012 ML Amsterdam, Netherlands
13. Hermitage Museum
Impressive collection of paintings from the Dutch Golden Age
Amstel 51, 1018 EJ Amsterdam, Netherlands
14. Van Gogh Museum
Visit on Friday evenings to enjoy live DJ's, art shows and alcohol while browsing the Van Gogh paintings
Paulus Potterstraat 7, 1071 Amsterdam, Netherlands
15. Het Leidseplein
The best places are Bulldog, Melkweg, Paradiso, No. 129 and The Waterhole
Leidseplein 17A, 1017 PS Amsterdam, Netherlands
Start off your journey through Amsterdam at Wynand Fockink, taste room located in a back alley at dam square, you can taste many popular gins which we call Jenever in Dutch. Jenever is Holland’s national spirit since the early 17th century. The first Dutch Jenever was sold only in pharmacies as an herbal medicine.
Once warm from the alcohol grab some fresh herring at Henk's Herring, a local delight! For more crazy food adventures, check out my recent article: 5 Crazy Foods You Wouldn't Dare To Eat!
Recently, the Museum of Prostitution opened its doors. It’s the first museum in the world that is focused on prostitution and don't forget to checkout the Casa Rosso theater, which offers all-you-can-drink sex shows where you can even partake in a few scenes.
The public urinals in Amsterdam may seem disgusting to some, but the locals love em', known in Dutch as 'De Krul' and have been in Amsterdam since 1880. At least 15 people die annually while peeing into an Amsterdam canal due to being often drunk and falling in.
For dinner go to Blue Amsterdam panorama restaurant, a true hidden gem in Amsterdam, which offers the best view of the city, they serve amazing local comfort food and drinks.
People always ask me; 'Why is weed legal in Amsterdam?', and reply; 'Why do you think Amsterdam has the most museum in the world?' - Watching paintings while being high will make you enter a whole new dimension of art.
Speaking about art, the Vincent van Gogh Museum has 1.5 million visitors per year, and the best time to go is Friday evening when you can enjoy live DJ's, a live art show and alcohol but don't go crazy on the Absinthe like Vincent and end up cutting off your ear.
For the nightlife check out this article for a list of my favorite places for a fun night out during the weekend.
- Zaanse Schans, which is a traditional Dutch park just north of Amsterdam.
- Weird Dutch Candy, in which I will try their strange local candies and foods.
- 5 Deep-fried Dutch Snacks, the Dutch love their deep-fried snacks. Allow me to show you why.
- Volik Museum, creepiest museum of human deformations which is unique in the world.
- Eating Raw Herring, in this episode I will show you how the Dutch eat their favorite raw fish.
- Volendam, the most traditional town in the Netherlands, let's go hardcore Dutch!
- Pancakes Amsterdam, the absolute best pancakes in the city.
- New Year's Dive, the Dutch have an odd tradition of jumping in the freezing ocean on new year's day.
- Leiden, one of the lost gems of Holland and often unnoticed by tourists.
- Dance Valley, the most popular outdoor festival in Holland, this is a must-see.
- Scheepvaart Museum, learn everything about the Dutch colonial times and naval power of the VOC.
- The Hague, the political center of the Netherlands. Another gorgeous city often missed by tourists.
- Rembrandtplein, best clubs for a night out closer to Amsterdam Central Station.