Fish-It-Yourself Restaurant in Tokyo
Zauo Self-fishing restaurant is one of the most unique experiences in Tokyo. At Zauo you are encouraged to catch your own meal and select a preferred cooking method ranging from sashimi, grilled or fried.
- Where: Zauo Shinjuku in Tokyo [Map]
- Lunch: 11:30am - 2:00pm
- Dinner: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Price: cheapest fish starts at ¥2,499 Yen ($22 USD)
- Phone: +81 (0) 3-3343-6622 (English is spoken)
- Why: Most entertaining dining experience in Tokyo
- Notes: Catch your own fish to obtain discounts, reserve ahead in order to get seats on the giant boat.
- Related: Eating Raw Chicken at Yakitori Akira
This gorgeous restaurant features an entire boat in the middle of a fishing pool located on the ground floor of the Washington Hotel in Shinjuku, Tokyo.
It was a unique experience especially after meeting up with my good friend Ronnie who was my first friend in Tokyo when I visited for my first time back in 2007, we met again in Sweden in 2010 and now 5 years later once more in Japan.
Ronnie had fished here before thus taught me all the ropes of the trade, we caught a Japanese Horse Mackerel, a Japanese Halibut (Flounder) and a Sea Bream (Tai).
The fish was delicious and ridiculously fresh, since the fish isn't flash-frozing it preserves all the nutrients and flavour.
Although it got a bit cruel when the cute waitress walked out with a fish on a dish while it was still half-alive and cut up into sashimi, but yet again, the Japanese take their quality and freshness very serious and proof it with presentation.